Guardiana, The SEGA Retro Kingdom

# Let's talk SEGA consoles and games! #

You are not logged in.

#1 11/12/2005 00:14:08

radar

"Asian Version" titles

Whats the lowdown on "Asian Version" MegaDrive games.
I mean the official releases - NOT Pirates.

Were they sold anywhere else than Hong Kong?, Singapore?

To me they appear 100% identical to the Japanese versions (down to some titles have the same extras - ie. Story of Thor with the little badge) except for the "Asian version" tag but I've seen some negative comments from people who collect Japanese MD that indicate they regard these as inferior releases.

Are the manuals different?

#2 11/12/2005 10:01:33

cyberguile
Les Collectionneurs Névrosés.

Re: "Asian Version" titles

The cartidge is japanese shaped but the text of the game are in english.
The box text are also in english, and there are two booklets: one in japanese, one in english.
They were released in hong kong, singapour and indonesia.

#3 11/12/2005 19:55:21

radar

Now I'm confused - do most normal Japanese MD releases have the:
"For Use and Sale in Asia" text on the back of the box??

Maybe the games I have are Japanese versions after all!

#4 11/12/2005 23:56:02

anagrama
cosmic spacehead

There's a few different styles of official Asian releases:

1) Black covers with a gold logo - see Aladdin, Batman Returns, Captain Planet or several others in the Gudariana database. Most common Asian versions, these are all on JP-shaped carts but the covers are much more like US/Euro releases.

2) Later covers with a turquoise/blue stripe along the side - see DB entries for Mega Games 10 or Mega Bomberman.
My copy of Bomberman like this has English, Chinese & Indonesian text on the back (and also is on a Western-shaped cart instead of a JP-shaped one).

3) Japanese-style covers with "Asian Version" either printed on the cover (eg Sonic 2) or on a small sticker (eg Golden Axe III).
It's these ones with the sticker that could cause confusion, and I don't know if there are any differences aside from the sticker. Is anyone able to do a side-by-side comparison?

#5 12/12/2005 00:19:57

cyberguile

3) Japanese-style covers with "Asian Version" either printed on the cover (eg Sonic 2) or on a small sticker (eg Golden Axe III).
It's these ones with the sticker that could cause confusion, and I don't know if there are any differences aside from the sticker. Is anyone able to do a side-by-side comparison?

The serial number on the cartidge is different.

#6 13/12/2005 20:53:01

radar

Thanks - I'll go through my collection and sort out scans for any not already in the Database.

Is Yakumo's page ?incorrect? when he says the "Asian Version" Mega Drive Hardware was "on sale throughout Japan, Taiwan and The Philippines."
http://www.segagagadomain.com/hardware- … -asian.htm

#7 13/12/2005 21:17:08

cyberguile

For me, that's a japanese megadrive ^^ (got one factory sealed, bought it in japan). It is mentionned on the box "for sale only in japan, taiwan and the philippines".
For the asian games, the mention on the box is "for sale in asia, except japan and korea"
And here is an asian megadrive 2

P1000784.jpg
P1000785.jpg

Box texts are in chinese, english and indonesian

As you can see, box colour can be compared to the late game release in the region such as bomberman http://www.guardiana.net/database/?id=701#v2720

#8 13/12/2005 23:54:34

anagrama
cosmic spacehead

Mmm, it's confusing stuff. 

Were there possibly 2 different "Asian" regions (not including Japan)? After all, some Asian games have have a -40 suffix to the part numbers, while others have -11  :?

#9 14/12/2005 03:06:12

cyberguile

I've got asian games with a pal sticker and others with a ntsc sticker lol  lol

#10 14/12/2005 09:35:39

mariaud
Canard adoré :)

like me ... ^^

Board footer