Guardiana, The SEGA Retro Kingdom

# Let's talk SEGA consoles and games! #

You are not logged in.

#141 05/05/2011 14:45:19

molotovwars

Re: [LISTING] Made in Korea !

Denifritz asked me about the difference between Gold and Silver label Quackshot.  Here is my response:

I have been working on putting together a master list of Korean games with serial numbers.  It is almost complete and then I will share it on Guardiana.

Thank you for telling me that there is a silver version of Quackshot.  It was confusing me.  There is a correlation between the spine style and when the game was released.  For example, all blue label games for example came out after 1993.  The difference between gold and silver is when the game was released.

The first 10 games that were released in Korea all have their own box art designs and spines and do not fit the pattern with the rest of the games.  These all say Super Gam*Boy on them.  They all say 수퍼겜보이용 on the cartridge in red, white, and blue lettering.  These 10 games also had 2 kinds of releases.  One in a large box (regular size) and one is a smaller plastic box - the same size that was used for some master system releases.  I have the small box versions of Zoom and Golden Axe.  I also have the full size version of Zoom so I can take pictures of them side-by-side for you.  The first 10 games and serial numbers are as follows:

GM 4001 JG – 타수진 / Tatsujin
GM 4002 JG – 수왕기/ Altered Beast
GM 4003 JG – 스페이스해리어 II - Space Harrier II
GM 4004 JG – 수퍼시노비 / Super Shinobi
GM 4005 JG – 골든액스 / Golden Axe
GM 4006 JG – 수퍼썬더블레이드 / Super Thunder Blade
GM 4007 JG – 람보III / Rambo III
GM 5008 JM – 대마게촌 / Ghouls N' Ghosts
GM 4009 JG – 줌 / Zoom
GM 4010 JG – 썬더포스II / Thunder Force II

All serial numbers start with GM.  The next number is the amount of Mega Power.  The next three digits is the serial number of the game.  You can see, those are the first 10 releases.

I do not know games 11-14, but game GM 4015 JG is Sonic 1.  There are three versions of Sonic 1: silver, gold, and blue label.  The silver release is the first release of the game.  The one I showed you pictures of.  I have more pictures of it and I can confirm it is an official release.  From game number 15 - 29 they are all silver box releases.

GM 4015 JG – 바람돌이소닉 / Sonic the Hedgehog (삼성판 3종류 있음
GM 4016 JT – 구나크 / Runark
GM 8017 JG – 몬스터월드 / Wonderboy V: Monster World III (하이콤판도있음)
GM x018 xx -
GM 4019 JG – 애로우 후래쉬 / Arrow Flash
GM x020 xx -
GM 2021 KS – 알렉스키드 천공마성 / Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
GM 4022 KS – 온달장군 / Mystic Defender
GM 4023 JG – 도날드 / Quackshot
GM 4024 JG – 돌든액스 II / Golden Axe II
GM x025 xx -
GM 4026 JT – 파이팅 마스터스 / Fighting Masters
GM 8027 JG – 홀이와 뚱이 / Toe Jam & Earl (사이드에서 일련 번호가 없음)
GM x028 xx -
GM 4029 JG – 다-윈 4081 / Darwin 4081 (사이드에서 일련 번호가 없음)

Before you told me that there was a silver version of Quackshot it was disrupting the pattern.  Because I had all these silver games and then one gold one.  Starting from game 030 they switched to a gold border on the spine.

Oh, and I have both the Hi-Com version and the Samsung version of Monster World III.

#142 05/05/2011 14:54:46

molotovwars

To really understand Korean game variations you need to look at the spine of the games.  When you look at the spines you can see when game styles change.  You can also see when they start to use the new Samsung logo as well.

Here is an album with pictures of the original release of Sonic 1.  Denifritz used one of my pictures above in his chart:
https://picasaweb.google.com/dsanford.h … ukzbbe4AE#

If you look at the Sonic pictures in the one of the spine you can see the silver at the top and the same serial number GM 4015 JG at the bottom.  Sonic 1 has the same serial number for all three variations.   BUT, Golden Axe and Super Shinobi have two releases with two DIFFERENT serial numbers.  If you look at my previous post you will see that Golden Axe is GM 4005 JG, but the re-release of Golden Axe is GM 4065 JG.  The original release of Super Shinobi is GM 4004 JG and the re-release is GM 4064 JG.

Unfortunately I only own the blue label of Sonic 1 so I cannot scan or get better pictures for the database

#143 05/05/2011 16:46:44

dentifritz

Thanks for sharing this with us, it's really interesting to finally understand what was behind all these variations smile

#144 06/05/2011 17:33:12

molotovwars

I've got tons of new information and a few more games to add to the datebase.

First interesting fact: The first game released in Korea, Tatsujin, never had a box.  At least the collector I was talking with has never seen one and says that the cartridge was just given away to anyone that bought the system.  It wasn't a pack in or anything it was just given away.  We both agreed at how strange this was.

I also learned that Ghouls N' Ghosts and Altered Beast never had small box releases.  Only big boxes.  So without those two, and Tatsujin not having a box, there should be 7 small release box games.  The guy I was talking to said he had 6 of them.  I'll have to ask which ones he has.  I wonder which one he is missing.  I've got Golden Axe and Zoom.

#145 06/05/2011 21:34:42

cyberguile
Les Collectionneurs Névrosés.

molotov, would be great if you could invite those people here tongue
you can create a topic in korean in this sub-forum:
http://forums.guardiana.net/viewforum.php?id=32

#146 09/05/2011 05:08:40

molotovwars

Yes, I have told him about the site.  I don't know if he will join or not, but he says he wants to help me scan stuff for the games I do not have.

#147 10/06/2011 07:56:07

dentifritz

For those of you who're interested in Sega Megadrive Korean Versions, I've compiled a small article about all the available knowledge I could gather up to this day. Please feel free to comment and rectify if any mistakes.

English Version here

Pour ceux qui s'intéressent aux matos Sega en Corée, j'ai compilé un petit billet à ce sujet avec toutes les connaissances que j'ai pu réunir à ce jour sur le sujet. Je vais rajouter la "master list" de molotovwars dans les semaines à venir, elle diffère un peu de celle disponible sur Guardiana.

Version Française ici

#148 14/06/2011 21:03:55

mariaud
Canard adoré :)

pas le temps de tout lire pour le moment, mais tu m'as l'air d'avoir bien bossé  smile

#149 15/06/2011 10:10:15

cyberguile
Les Collectionneurs Névrosés.

et moi ??? tu me cites pas dans ton article ??? T____T
jdéconne  tongue article très intéressant

Last edited by cyberguile (15/06/2011 10:13:17)

#150 18/06/2011 13:54:18

Ptitcerf
Hi-NRG addict!

Très très bon article, plaisant à lire. Merci pour ce travail de recherche et de rédaction smile

#151 19/06/2011 06:17:52

dentifritz

cyberguile wrote:

et moi ??? tu me cites pas dans ton article ??? T____T
jdéconne  tongue article très intéressant

Hehe, c'est vrai que d'une certaine manière je crois que c'est grâce à toi que j'ai vu pour la première fois la version Korea de Contra (je crois que c'était à l'époque où tu avais ton blog).

Merci à tous pour ces compliments sinon  tongue

Board footer